Some current notes: 3-1-2000
As always, having any of these discussed factors “angular” on return charts increases their—I know, many of you kid me about this word: “vibrancy”—in the experience, and there is always more to say about each than I’m gonna’ do here, but maybe these sketches validate what’s happening or invite you to see things from a slightly different place:
1. We’ve just passed Psyche sq. Kronos; this can bring contact with experts in psychology or neurology; it relates to frontal lobe activity (specifically the “executive function;”) it can bring assessments of psychological or emotional competency; it can correlate with periods when one’s emotional woundedness (even though there probably isn’t just a word, it conveys my meaning) can cause them to question their ability “to run things.” For some, it might bring up father-based emotionally-potent memories or exchanges.
2. Sisyphus is currently retrograde in 20 Libra. This is an opportunity to consider whether (1) some non-productive re-starts are underway, (2) how and why something in the past kept getting “new life,” and (3) rationales for current reluctance to “begin again” or to continue to do something about which you have a sense of futility. It may be excellent news that one ISN’T willing to “try again.”
3. With the ongoing Neptune conj. South Node, the idea of separating from those who “are Neptunian” (vague, dishonest, impractical, non-specific, disorganized, etc.) continues, as does the potential for contact with sick persons or hospitals.
4. Requiem conj. Odysseus offers a period of peace or satisfaction regarding travel and/or various kinds of estrangements and displacement.
5. Kronos\House: The accent is on state or government buildings, office buildings, tall buildings, the house of the father, boss, or a VIP; with potential for events in connection with laws and regulations that concern real estate or property. (So, DO pay your real estate taxes and take care of any official business that is place-based.)
6. Toro\Apollo: One can seem a “slow-learner” regarding bullying; there is a naivete about aggression, and some quandary about understanding that one doesn’t “provoke” others into shows of anger, threats or intimidation. Toro is in Cancer, so, while it’s great to “do hard work in your home,” the muscle-flexing of Toro will often show in emotional ways or affect mother-child relationships.
7. Hades conj. Hebe: While service personnel can make mistakes under the conjunction, it’s a pairing under which to examine how “supporting the unsupportable (and unacceptable)” has been demeaning or has caused situations to get worse. This is an excellent time to ponder all the ramifications of being supportive BECAUSE another has serious problems. Certainly there are times for unquestioning acceptance (but there’s more to this over time for both parties in the situation.)
8. Mars conj. Lilith in Aries: One of the things this is about is TAKING ACTION ON DECISIONS, but there’s lots more to it. More like: decisions based on anger or on the need to say no; insights into male gender issues; reacting angrily to competitive circumstances; seeing “anger,” independence, self-preoccupation or inconsiderate reactions as a gender thang; actions that express rejection or invite jealousy; and challenging decisions others make.
9. Both Child and Hekate are conjunct Mars and Lilith, so scenarios can combine or draw on any one, any two, three or all four. Thus: kids can be angry over criticism or rejection; a child can decide to take very egocentric action; a young (Child) boy (Mars) may need protection (Hekate;) a child may have frightening nightmares; when feeling rejected or angry, people of any age can react childishly; if one is to be a true guardian of a child, they have to be strong about their decisions; there may be instances of favoritism toward children based on gender; Mars-Lilith can create “conflicted loyalties” for a youngster because of his feelings toward his (Hekate:) mother or whomever is regarded as a protector.
10. Pallas, Rx - Sphinx, Rx: One wonders what will happen if they DON’T do what they know will garner approval; “If I don’t try to please them, what will happen?” Under this, instances of having no idea what it takes to “make others happy” will also occur. Sphinx, retrograde, is double jeopardy: Sphinx leaves gaps in information, and when retrograde, answers either aren’t coming soon or those “mysteries” have a long history. The “enigma” or paradox is bigger or more poignant than usual.
11. And with Tisiphone, also retrograde, well within Sphinx’s paws, people aren’t sure about the reasons for or efficacy of “justice.” Ie., what will he or she do to get even? Do I/you deserve this? Will this turn out fairly? What are my/your “just desserts”? (I say: chocolate mousse for all!!!) ---obviously, these are vignettes from “the skies.” To get more precise, we’d have to add in how they are affecting factors (planets, TNPs and asteroids) in a given individual’s chart. But, from the feedback I get from some of you, you are able to use even these short takes to advantage. And that’s great!
About the Study Plan: 3-2-2000
Hoo boy, is Mercury rx or what??? I thought that since no one mentioned the study plan, you’d all rather we dropped it. Then I heard to the contrary from some of you. Sorry. To recap points covered in previous posts (and these are probably available in the archives—and it’s suggested that you find and review them:)
I - Amor, Bacchus (and Dionysius,) Hebe, Hidalgo, and Pandora
II - Juno and Hera
III - Atlantis, Hopi and Odysseus
IV - Eros, Lilith and Sphinx
V- Apollo, Arachne, Terpsichore and Urania
VI - Astraea, Ceres, Demeter and Toro
--- There were also a couple of “tests” so you could measure what you were learning.
And, for those who might be unaware of this, we are covering the asteroids used in my books* and in the monthly newsletter, Tools of the Trade. The books include hundreds of pages of example delineations in natal and predictive work. * Mechanics of the Future: Asteroids * The Orders of Light * Architects of Time * Introductory Studies in The Astrology of the Brain.
The research manual, The Astrology of the Brain, uses the asteroids and TNPs but focuses more on their relevance to brain structures and
functions. The asteroid references in my first book, “The Mechanics of Free Will,” are repeated (and greatly enlarged in “Mechanics of the Future.”) “MechWill” is a more basic and philosophic book, written to address the free will debate.
Also for those who have recently joined us, the “study plan” asks that you apply the work to your own chart and to a few others (for which you have permission to review.) The plan has the limitations of the online format (in that everything is condensed,) but having it be on the list means that you can ask questions, make comments and have the incredible advantage of hearing a number of examples from a variety of people (...and we’re grateful to those who take the time to share their stories. And that means that if you haven’t yet piped up with a story from a chart you have, it’s YOUR turn! This is an extremely friendly group with beginners and professionals and everything inbetween, and aside from the fact that “flaming” is utterly prohibited, and courtesy expected, it’s easy to participate. Since it was suggested that some don’t contribute because they were apprehensive about the quality of their astrological knowledge, the study plan was intended to erase that excuse!!!) m martha wescott
Asteroid Pairs : 3-6-2000
Asteroid Pairs Ceres-Demeter Juno-Hera Pallas-Minerva Siva-Siwa Persephone-Proserpina Astraea-Iris (although I restrict Iris to just eyes) Bacchus-Dionysius Vesta-Hestia (altho I don’t use Hestia) Diana-Artemis (altho I don’t usually use Artemis) Aesculapia, Asclepius and Askalaphus and Hygiea all for medical
The book, Astrology of the Brain, shows examples of some of these and some of the following. Ie., GBMs—glioblastoma multiforme tumors have either Apollon or Apollonia in the Psyche axis. ---- Then asteroid matches for some TNPs: Admetus- the asteroid, Admete Apollon- the asteroid, Apollonia Poseidon- the asteroid, Poseidon [for these I use the same glyphs as the TNPs, but I note a tiny A with them to show that they’re asteroids.] don’t have the asteroid, Zeus, or asteroid matches for the other TNPs; if I did, I’m sure I would test ‘em to see if they “behaved” in charts like their TNP counterparts. --- I’m sure some others “work,” I either don’t use them or haven’t finished testing them.
Basic Concepts : 3-7-2000
While some astrologers advocate using only the conjunction, in my work I have come to use asteroids in the same way as planets and TNPs in either traditional or Uranian methods—meaning that I’ve found all aspects and techniques to be effective. My books would give examples. Of course, you have to work with them to personally validate and decide (so that you can utterly trust what they are showing you in a chart.)
That goes for orbs as well. There are astrologers who won’t credit the asteroid’s effect if it is beyond, say, a degree and a half (and They aren’t speaking of dial work.) This is not my position at all. I grant them the same orb—per type of aspect—as I would a planet (and if I’m working in 360 format, I still retain the midpoint potential.) But you have to examine them in enough charts of which you have intimate knowledge to decide what y-ou believe “works.” Then you will feel comfortable in the stories of experience and beliefs those asteroids are telling.
When you have a line-up, grouping or stellium, it IS a thorny problem. Jot down notes or key words for each; consider that what you are experiencing as you try to delineate that jumble is the same problem they have trying to express and manifest. All of those influences are trying to make themselves “heard” at that degree; one factor can’t “speak” without the others trying to get their two cents worth in too. The delineation can turn into a “Henry James sentence”—a run-on sentence with ample adverbial phrases, a plethora of adjectives, and delicious (but rampant) nuances!
Where one might have five or more asteroids with or without a planet or TNP in the mix and spread out over eight or ten degrees, the approach is the same—but then it’s fun (and effective) to play midpoint games to eke more interpretation from the grouping. Ie., the two outermost factors can “equal” one or more of the inner factors. And “sequence” can be extremely important in both traditional (360) and dial work. Stare at a grouping and imagine an outer transit approaching. That transit is gonna’ hit “this one” and then “that one” and then the next one. The radix stellium can’t really operate individually, but the transit can stress them almost in order. It can get all the more “interesting” if the transit takes a station on one before it completes its pass of the entire stellium....I mention some of this to entertain your Arachne-Mercury! :)
Orders (angular) - Quick sketches: 3-9-2000
Hades x ASC\Neptune, Rx - Vulcanus = Diana
If you get down on yourself because of disappointments, neediness, frailties (and yet harbor unrealistic expectations of others...and yet, on some level expect them to disappoint or feel sorry for you,) the pressure of all that can cause others to “run,” avoid you or feel “hounded.”
Urania\Poseidon - ASC = Neptune, Rx
When the thinking is dominated or swayed by the religion or spiritual practice and proscriptions, “who you are” will fall short of unrealistic ideals. As you think about your beliefs, is there room for a self-compassion (that isn’t pity, that doesn’t tolerance of the weaknesses and imperfections, but an embracing of them)?
Psyche Mercury Astraea Lilith opp. Poseidon, Rx
Neurological learning and speech problems due to visual selection process; (ie., the mind can’t select or pick out what’s essential and salient; eyes may be too sensitive to light, brain may not be functionally able to “make sense of” visual imagery—can’t corollate it with the thinking. ------ m
Nemesis, Pluto in the 12th : 03-9-2000
If I were gonna' point the finger of blame at Pluto (..for anything,) I'd wanna' do it in the dark of the 12th too... and I'd want to speak very, very softly!
You might pursue the idea of how the sensitivities and compassion of the 12th are a source of problems or a route to victim-savior roles. Why and when are you "the scapegoat" when "it comes to Pluto"? If "the problem" is Pluto, what's that got to do with money, with another's "dark side" or the use of emotions and one's history as a kind of interpersonal weapon? Sometimes delineation of a conjunction makes only just so much sense, and ya' have to add other parts of the aspect pattern to eke more meaning from
the base conjunction. That will often help you to get additional insights. Playing key word games helps too-- ie., Nemesis = fault and blame Pluto = guilt-trips, "interesting" motives, deep emotional complexity, debt, having to make psychological adjustments, insights about preying on people's weaknesses, openess to forced change, dealing with the "sex, drugs 'n' rock & roll" of life, etc.
--what sense do those ideas make if you add the trust issues, fragility, lack of boundaries, and empathy of the 12th? Since the 12th can also present "an undoing," having Nemesis there ups the ante on that part of the 12th. Sometimes it's hard to see those 12th House issues and needs clearly. If we thought of the 12th as "desiring an unearthly merger," what kind of self-confrontation and emotional integrity is Pluto demanding? Sky covered the utter importance of CONTROL struggles and dynamics; add the exploitation potential of the 12th, add the susceptibility of the house.... Who gets away with "naming the enemy" and how often does the complexity of Pluto keep Nemesis from seeing what's truly "at fault"? If you give up or go to hopeless (courtesy of the 12th,) what do you fear Pluto would do? Can you withdraw to sort out what's true for you (12th) without someone calling it "a manuever"? How does "loneliness" drive you to struggle with others? Do you know if there were particular problems for your mother while you were in the womb? Given how dark and fuzzy it is in the 12th, and how fond Pluto is of sub rosa activity, it might be hard to "see Nemesis," to really figure out what the problem is...until it got to the down and dirty of Pluto. Then it's better to "pray on weakness" (and not have weakness preyed upon.) --am only thinking aloud and trying to present a schematic for delineation that "milks" much from the component factors.
<< I have observed the multitude of people whose brains turn off when "mythology" is mentioned and so what you see in Martha's books is an avoidance of this approach. Am I right Martha? >>
(Sorry to be behind the times; am just back from another two weeks in the West...without a phone line...uh, blissfully without contact with other than the mountains, skies, water, wind and wild things.)
Anyway, you ARE right. I observe that there is a core "heroic" strain to myths that must be distilled (by research) to abstract the absolute, replicable essence of the myth in behavior and events. We are all and each on a "heroic journey" but if you include all the twists and turns of each mythic tale, there will be no way to have asteroids find acceptance in the world's astrological community (and usage.) It is too easy to use the asteroids-as-myths to become lost in vague, Neptunian rapture; that's what I call "romancing the stone." It makes everyone "a king or queen in their last life." It panders to ego and suggests excuses. As a personal philosophy, I feel and think that it takes away from the incredible dignity and gift of this-life/being-we-are-living-right-NOW if we dwell too heavily on the soul's ancestry. I hear the mythos of our history as a drum, a heartbeat, but we must experience it all anew, breathing-in... breathing-out.
As you say, many are turned off by "mythology." If one isn't, great-- the asteroids can use that avenue for appeal. But if one is--and yet someone can demonstrate that they are exquisitely practical, accurate and effective in all astrological systems, and that their use will allow astrology to have detail and precision, then... I reach for (and fail to find) a kind way to say: How the hell could you not use them???